Carjacking Attorney in New York City
NYC Criminal Defense Lawyer
Carjacking is the criminal
theft of an automobile by force, intimidation, or violence and is considered
a violent crime. It is classified as a felony and penalties depend upon
several factors. No matter the details of your charges, the Law Office
of Richard Southard can hear your case and provide you with quality legal advice.
Consequences for Carjacking
As a violent crime, carjacking can carry serious penalties and repercussions
depending on the severity of the crime.
The consequences for carjacking crimes include the following:
- If no weapon or injuries involved, the charge can carry up to 7 years in prison.
- If any injury is sustained and a deadly weapon is involved in the crime,
it can carry up to 15 years in jail.
- Carjacking with the use of a deadly weapon resulting in serious bodily
injury to the victim carries up to 25 years in jail.
The more you understand the severity of penalties you are facing, the better
your defense will be.
Building a Tough Defense
New York theft crime Attorney Richard Southard can work with you to construct
the best defense for your case. He takes time to formulate a personalized
plan to fight your carjacking charges.
Some of the more common defenses in motor vehicle theft include:
- Having the automobile owner's consent to operate their property
- Mistakenly taking a car you believed to be yours or one you mistakenly
thought you were allowed to take
- If you can prove you intended to use the car and later return it, you can
be charged with the lesser charge of joyriding
Protect Your Future Today
You don't have to face your charges alone.
Criminal defense attorney Richard Southard can put his many years of experience to work
for you. He has received many awards and recognition for his dedication
to helping his clients including being included in The National Trial
Lawyers Top 100 Trial Lawyers list and an A+ grade from the Better Business Bureau.
If you are arrested for carjacking in any of the five boroughs of New York
Attorney Richard Southard a call.
See what Mr. Southard can do for you by scheduling a free case evaluation.