Fighting DWI / DUI Charges in NYC
New York DWI Defense Attorney
Have you been arrested for driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving under
the influence (DUI) anywhere in the state of New York? If so, retaining
legal defense immediately will be essential to your case.
criminal defense attorney in New York has been
recognized as a top defense lawyer in the area because of his excellent ability to present a compelling case, conduct
a thorough case investigation, and deliver an unrelenting defense strategy
in a trial setting.
Why You Need Attorney Southard After an Arrest
Come to a DWI and DUI defense law firm that has a proven record of success
for its clients. At the
Law Office of Richard Southard, we take your defense, your future, and your rights seriously. We do whatever
is in our professional and ethical power to provide you with the best
possible representation so that you can move forward with your life.
Attorney Southard has earned a Superb Rating by Avvo, Inc. and is:
- A former Brooklyn prosecutor with an undefeated record
- Familiar with strategies used by the courts, police, judges, and juries
- Understanding of how the judicial system operates all the way down to the
- Consistently up to date and current on the law with continuous legal education
- Involved in training programs in courtroom testimony for New York Police
Department recruits and more than 50 junior assistant district attorneys
in the area
Understanding DWI & DUI Penalties
The laws and regulations governing DWI and DUI laws in New York can be
confusing, and you need to ensure that you are working with an attorney
that is experienced in handling a variety of complex cases.
We know how to decipher the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Laws - particularly Article 31 as it pertains to motor vehicle operations and
intoxicants. You can be confident that your case is in good hands when
you retain the representation of our office.
Penalties for a first-time DWI / DUI conviction:
- Up to 1 year in jail
- Fines not exceeding $1,000
- License suspension for up to 6 months
- A $250 annual reassessment fine to the Department of Motor Vehicles for
a total of $750 in fines over a 3-year span
- Possible enrollment and completion in a drug abuse program or drinking
Can I fight charges against me even if I failed a breath or blood test?
An officer may try to pull you over if he or she has reason to believe
that you may be operating your vehicle while under the influence of alcohol,
drugs, or controlled substances. In order to determine whether you are
under the influence, the officer may subject you to a sobriety test, such
as a standardized field sobriety test, a Breathalyzer test, or a blood
or urine chemical test. If you submit to one of these tests and your results
your blood alcohol content level is more than 0.08%, which is the legal
limit, you may be arrested.
Even if you failed a sobriety test or refused a test, you still may have
defense options available to you. Do not ever assume that you will automatically
be convicted of the charge against you! With the help of a skilled attorney,
you can fight your charges, save your driver's license, and protect
Defenses available to you may include:
- Unlawful or illegal arrest
- Violation of search and seizure regulations
- Unlawful arrest at a sobriety check point
- Improper reading or administration of Breathalyzer, blood, or urine test
- Using an improperly calibrated machine that produced unreliable test results
- Questionable results from an improper standardized field sobriety test
- Inadequate evidence or police report
Call a Former Prosecutor to Defend Your Rights
If you want to learn more about your potential legal options after a DWI
or DUI arrest, don't wait another moment to consult our New York criminal
defense lawyers. We're here to help clients anywhere in the five boroughs,
contact our office to schedule a
free case consultation to get started today.